Living outside the box. That is an expression I have heard a lot and used myself in different contexts. As I have been reflecting on this program and in response to chapter one, I am trying to decide what the "box" is? In order to live outside the box, it would be important to be able to define the box itself. While this may seem deeply philosophical, I do think it is relevant due to our changing society.
Media technology is changing the box. I propose that there are now many boxes that we may each live in depending on circumstance and we may try on different boxes in order to determine what box is the best fit before finally choosing our box.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Excellent reaction to the common idea: what is our box, in this case? Etienne Wenger, researcher who wrote about Communities of practice, said that the "box" is the changes we make so that we can fit into the profession or social group we aspire to become part of. For teachers that tends to mean mimicking the practices of a more senior teacher. Unfortunately this may also mean adopting outmoded practices because "that's the way it's always been done" and so the practice continues. To which the kids might say, FAIL.
ReplyDelete